Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Minimalist, Classy, Mother of Pearl

This past week, my daughter's and I celebrated their father Travis' birthday; he would have been 41 this year. He passed away almost seven years ago now, and though time passes it does not heal all wounds (I hate cliches and that is one of the worst); we merely learn to live with them.  

For me, November is always a somewhat difficult month to get through. The seasonal transition to Fall/Winter always makes me feel a bit forlorn, introspective, and filled with a deep longing to move or migrate. Instead, I hunker down; I bake a lot, cook warm comforting foods and create. 

The last few days I've been working on a series of classic, simple, minimalist earrings made with antique and vintage mother or pearl buttons combined with upcycled jewelry elements. I have always adored the luminous sheen of mother of pearl, and I absolutely love the delicate simplicity of these unique eco earrings. 

One of my first purchases from Etsy was an vintage tin with dogwood blossoms filled to the brim with antique and vintage mother of pearl  and white milk glass buttons
If I'm feeling colorful, I might use some of the other vintage buttons I have been collecting.
 I use jump rings and jewelry pliers to link the buttons together for a truly unique classy look.
Below are some picture of some finished pieces, which will be available for sale soon on my Etsy and Copious shops.




2 comments:

  1. The mother of pearl buttons are gorgeous! I love dangly earrings.
    Love and hugs to you and the girls. Xxx

    ReplyDelete