Sunday, April 1, 2012

NaPoWriMo 1/30

Believe it or not I have always considered myself a poet. I began writing poetry in elementary school and won my first poetry contest in third grade. I studied poetry for fun (and as a welcome break from my rigorous biology/biochemistry courses) in college and was super excited to have had the chance to take classes from some wonderful contemporary poets during my time at University, including Garrett Hongo and John Witte. Well, needless to say, I have not been the most prolific poet the last several years, and that is why I was so excited when I read my friend Sky's blog post about NaPoWriMo. Inspired by Sky, I have decided to take on the NaPoWriMo Challenge too and write a poem a day for the entire month of April. It is an exercise for myself in overcoming auto-censura, a word I coined to describe the horrible self-censorship I put myself through lately when I try to write. 


Sparassis crispa vortex

 Carpe Deim

To seize the day, an hour, a word, a single atom 
Pinched between my plump baby fingers
Brought up to my rosebud lips to suckle the inner juices of life itself 
Whirling about in orbitals like every thing has a place and purpose. 

I want to seize the day, but it is too thorny to grasp
And brambles make me ramble and maybe I am too scared to ask.





No comments:

Post a Comment