Thursday, April 5, 2012

NaPoWriMo 5/30

The prompt for today being the theme of "opening day" inspired in me a bit of wordplay. Coffee** is my favorite third world beverage, and one of my long time friends in battling the daily melancholia of my poetic disposition.


Why I Drink Coffee

I wish that I could
wake up bright eyed
grasp firmly the folds of the world and
open the day 
like I would slice open the most fragrant melon
and every little bit of everything inside
was perfect, delectable and predictable,
right down to the rind.
Opening the day,
dressed in sparkling salmon dew flesh
and dripping with all the honeyed goodness, but no.

I am more likely to open the day 
as though it were a stubborn child, 
who must be catered to,
coerced or cudgeled into cooperation
and a certain amount of tugging is required.

**Each coffee bush takes 5-7 years to become fruitful and an individual bush produces an average of a pound of dried beans per year. It boggles my mind to think of how many bushes are dedicated to my consumption alone. For this reason, I choose to support fair trade coffee companies with sustainable and ethical business practices--organic, shade grown, supportive of local indigenous communities, etc--such as Equator Coffees.

No comments:

Post a Comment